Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

July 31, 2011

I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours...

I admitted a couple of months ago that I'm really far from a techie.

The subject came up again a couple of weeks ago, when my computer decided to take a little vacation, leaving me and my bargain basement cell phone without an internet connection for almost a week.

Between the two admissions, Marcia and I had some dialogue about who had the lower-budget cell phone. She asked me if I'd be up for a little side-by-side comparison...so here 'goes...



[On the right is one of the girls' play phones, which I think is at least as technologically advanced as my cell phone, on the left.]

Marcia posted her picture yesterday, and I think it's safe to assume I won. (Sure wish this was a real contest, the prize being a new cell phone...HA!)

Actually, my prepaid "drug dealer phone" (as my friends call it) suits my needs just fine. It costs a whopping $15 a month for 300 minutes, which is far more than I ever use.

I know I would enjoy certain bells and whistles of a fancier phone -- namely being able to check in while I'm out and about -- but really, I just don't feel like I need to be any more "connected" than I already am. I think it would be far too big a temptation for me to increase my time on the 'net.

So for now I'll stick to my landline at home, my wireless internet connection for my laptop, and my $15 phone.

...but I will say I'm proud to have moved into the mid-90's recently...we just got caller ID at home! AND while my internet connection was down, I figured out how to send a text message on my phone.

Woo hoo...go me!!!

Wanna weigh in? How do your goods measure up??? Check out Marcia's link-up. (She's one of my faves, by the way...if you don't know her, well, you should!!!)

13 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Thanks for linking up, Mandy!

You definitely win! And I love that we're on the same wavelength with this stuff.

I pay R120 - R180 for my cell phone ($17 - $25) every month. Let's just say, I budget the upper limit and if it comes close, I freak out a little. My debit order's just gone off for end July and this month R120 :) Mission accomplished.

I have friends who pay R1000 and more a month..... no thanks, I have a savings account to fill up :)

Marcia (123 blog) said...

PS shall I send you my (6-week old) phone that I don't use? will it work there?

I know the charger would be different but the rest? I'm clueless....

Andrea said...

So the grey is your phone, really?!?! I keep thinking I am reading that wrong. Sorry, I totally am not making fun, but the buttons are pretty funny!! Reminds me of a calculator for "older" folks! Ha!!

Thanks for sharing!! I am totally jealous of your bill though. I really don't think mine is that bad until I hear something like that. Ha! I pay $102 for mine and hubby. Hubby hasn't made the the change yet. He is wanting to the next go around, so it will go up another $30. That for some reason sounds really bad to me, 132?!?! Too much! Maybe I can hold him off for a while!

Trish said...

Ok, so I thought my phone was old! I have a freebie Nokia from a few years ago, and actually when I saw this post I thought your girls' "play" phone WAS my phone for a second!n But your phone definitely wins!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

NOTE: My phone is actually on the right, and the girls' is on the left. (It's not actually a "large print"-type phone, Andrea! HA!) I mistyped that, and I didn't realize it until I'd published the post. I'm having a crazy time with Blogger right now, and I can't edit a post [I don't think] without deleting it and re-publishing. Grrrr...

So, on to the positive, I guess it's not quite as bad as it could be! :)

Anonymous said...

hahahahah! i'm glad you posted that it was a typo. i was wondering why your phone looked like a toy and your kids looked so much fancier. lol.

who needs fancy phones? all it means is that i read my emails instantly and check fb like 10 times a day. :)

Unknown said...

ha! I'm glad you clarified the right phone, too! I was hoping it was a mistake!

I have a droid phone that does lots and I LOVE it! I'm not home that often and I rarely have time to talk on the phone so texting and messaging is what gets me by. Plus I like having a camera always at hand and fun things to do to kill time when I'm waiting or bored and don't have a book with me :-)

Mandy said...

So glad I read all the comments. I was AMAZED at your big gray phone LOL! It is sooooo a drug dealer phone. But if it fits you, and your happy, then so be it.

We pay $10 for a landline. We don't own a phone. It's solely for the DSL, which we pay $50 a month for. Add to that **GASP** $170 for a family plan with unlimited data for both lines. I kinda want to vomit now! Add taxes and surcharges and we spend $250 total for house, cell, and internet.

Holly G said...

Oh, that's so funny! We haven't had a landline for over 3 years. But I admit that our cellphones are definitely more fancy than necessary.

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

LOL!!! I am soooo linking up on Tuesday!!! I think I MIGHT have you beat...stay tuned!

:)

Jeremi said...

hey there! just catching up on blog reading ....

my cell phone is probably 15 years old, i am definitely an illiterate techie : ) i probably will upgrade this fall when i'm back teaching full-time but i'm not real concerned about it : ) this post made me smile : )

it's fun to see your girls cooking in the kitchen with you -- i did so much of that when zoe and ella were little, we actually cooked our way through the alphabet .... it was a blast, and then we did other alphabet activities along the way ... if you're interested to see some of the posts send me an email so i can send you the links, i can't remember when we started it but i think i t was 2009 ....

have a great day!
jeremi

Beth said...

Oh Mandy! I can not stop laughing! (I really needed that- thanks!)

I think that Andrea perfectly captured my reaction to thinking the grey phone was yours. Very smart, now we're all very impressed with how fancy your phone is! ;)

I have a very basic phone too. It is almost time for me to upgrade and I'm considering getting a nice phone, but I have a hard time accepting the idea. We'll have to wait and see.

Love your 'drug dealer' phone!

Renae said...

Too funny! I may need some more information about this $15/month drug dealer phone. T and I don't use ours much at all (we both have the archaic flip top type), but pay a small fortune for tons of minutes that mostly go unused.

I'd love to have an iPhone, but at this time, I don't want to commit to the costs. And I also fear that the ability to be connected all the time wouldn't really be a good thing for me. But maybe someday I'll splurge. I'll just have to set strict parameters to keep myself from going Internet crazy! :o)