It’s been a pretty cool week…making it woefully hard to narrow down the top five reasons it was so fabulous…but I’ll try…
1) I had such fun crafting in the kitchen with the girls on Sunday…and they had such fun eating the S’mores of their labor. And they now have a real-life reference for the Curious George Goes Camping story they love, in which he gets to roast marshmallows with his friend.
2) On Monday night, at random, I thought to pull up a youtube video of one of the most well-known Russian folk songs, “Kalinka”. I found a version featuring a performance with traditional Russian dance. The girls were mesmerized! There was a whole lotta wiggling going on in the den that night as they tried to kick up their heels…and they’ve asked every day since for “Kawinka”.
3) We celebrated the girls’ ½ birthday on Tuesday. We enjoyed a fantastic lunch (Mexican…their favorite!) with Aunt Karen, and the girls were in little two-and-a-half-year-old heaven eating a strawberry cupcake for dessert.
4) I’m learning that the girls can’t keep a secret for anything…in anticipation of celebrating our cat’s birthday on Friday (along with Daddy's), I took the girls to Target on Wednesday to buy her a new toy. They were giddy at the opportunity. Later that day, I was walking upstairs with B, and Sasha was sitting on the steps. B said to her, in a very deliberate cadence, “We bought you a very special present!”
5) I don’t want the girls to think that eating Mommy’s cooking is the way to my heart, but it sure is hard to disguise sometimes. As part of dinner on Thursday, we had one of our favorite salads. I described it to the girls as I set their plates in front of them, “…fresh cucumbers and tomatoes and onion from the farmer’s market.” Baby B was so quick to point out, “And dill, Mommy!” A few minutes later, I thought Baby A was finished with her salad, as all she had left were pieces of diced onion. I went to move her plate, and she said, “No! I’m still eating!” And she ate every last morsel of that raw onion…HA!
And what did I do for ME this week???
A full year ago, a friend of mine recommended the book “The Help”, by Kathryn Stockett. I waited and waited for the book to come out in paperback, and I treated myself to it as soon as I saw it in the bookstore a few weeks ago. However, I told myself I couldn’t start it until I finished the parenting book I was reading. Well…I wasn’t quite finished with the parenting book…but I couldn’t stand it any longer. And wow…halfway through, it has been so worth the wait! It’s a fantastic read, and I’m enjoying every.single.page. There’s nothing like an engaging book…yum!!!
Thanks so much to everyone who entered my giveaway for the gorgeous handmade earrings in celebration of the 52 Weeks of ME! Halfway There Event! And…without further ado…the winner [selected via random.org] is…Marcia of 123 Blog! Congrats, Marcia!
And Marcia’s favorite way to pamper herself??? To lie in bed and read. (I agree…heaven!)