Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

July 6, 2011

1/2 is a Whole Lotta Fun!

Yesterday we celebrated the girls' 1/2 birthday. Yep...two and a half...officially halfway to THREE...but I'm not thinking about that just yet (breathe in, breathe out).

This is not a tradition I grew up with, but one I heard a colleague talk about years ago. I think it's such a neat idea...a way to stop and think about where we are in the context of a year. And particularly during these first few years, six months makes such a HUGE difference in almost every aspect of our world!

Our half birthday celebrations to date have been pretty low-key...usually involving pretty dresses and an excuse for Mommy to make a yummy dessert. (Homemade strawberry cake was the chosen dessert for this year!)

As the girls get a little older, I could foresee having some once-a-year fun...something crazy like eating dessert for supper...or maybe camping overnight in the living room.

There are no presents, just an opportunity to really focus on our little family.

And of course there are lots of pictures! (And of course you know I can't resist some comparison shots!)

Starting with 2009 [when Mommy and Daddy had to eat the girls' 1/2 cakes on their behalf]...


...2010, when the girls got in on the eating action...

...and 2011...


And the comparison pictures in Mommy's lap...



I'm linking up today with Cheryl at Twinfatuation for Way Back When-esday! (Thanks to Cheryl for hosting such a great link-up each week...I love seeing everyone's pictures from their albums!)


AND, if you haven't entered my GIVEAWAY for a beautiful pair of handmade earrings, please click HERE to do so (through July 7).

16 comments:

Julia said...

I love the idea of celebrating the half birthday---so fun! The girls are coming up on their half birthday---I might have to borrow your idea :) I love a good excuse for family time!

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

What a GREAT idea!!! Boy, they sure do grow fast eh?!?!

Happy 1/2 Birthday girls!

Holly G said...

That is such a fun idea! I was just looking at my twins' 3rd birthday pics the other day and thinking - Wow, they've grown so much already! (Their 1/2 birthday was June 30th). I love your comparison photos - those are three pretty girls in those pictures! :)

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

We go all out for Halfy birthday parties... makes sharing a birthday more bearable, right? :)

I LOVE the looking back pictures... fun to see how much your sweet girls have changed. And it is nice to see YOU in some pictures too!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

ADORABLE pics, cakes and girls.

I love that first cake - you are so creative, Mandy.

I didn't ever think like Johanna said but true, they share their birthday so why not have two?!

I'm busy stringing up banners, writing my book, etc. maybe I'll blog properly later............ :)

Mama Mama Quite Contrary said...

What a great idea!

Andrea said...

OMG, Mandy!!! This is one of my all time favorite posts!! You know how I heart comparison pictures!! I think it is a fantastic idea to celebrate half birthdays. So wish I did it!!

Happy 1/2 birthday sweet baby girls!! Oh & btw you are no longer allowed to grow any older!! ;-)

Cheryl Lage said...

These are WONDERFUL....and ALL of you look so beautiful in each and every shot! Huzzah for half birthdays, and for you playing along!

Thanks so much for joining in with Way Back When-esday so wonderfully!

yettie said...

I think this is a great family tradition.Love the comparison pics. They grow up so fast don't they?

championm2000 said...

Oh, what a great story to tell through pictures!

Anonymous said...

I always celebrate my own half-birthday, but I will definitely have to start this tradition with my twins also! How fun!

Unknown said...

You are soooo right...6 months makes a HUGE difference at this age!

Your post reminded me of two things:

1 - I want to do a post for each of my kiddos at their 1/2 birthday mark (it'll be belated for J&S but close!)

2 - I want to do a 1/2 bday party, just for our family for some fun! Maybe I'll surprise them one day when they come home from school with a cake or something :-)

Happy 1/2 birthday to your sweet girls!! (and its a reminder that my lil man is almost officially 2.5 also! WHOA!!!!!)

Jayme said...

I love this tradition, I wish we'd done it! I also am a huge fan of comparison shots ;)

Anonymous said...

LOVE this idea :) ours would be in March. maybe i'll think about this one of these years. march is usually a pretty busy time of the semester for me :(

also. thought about you yesterday b/c my kids LOVE the happy birthday song lately. m will say, "M birthday? please?" and then i will sing to her. before i'm done she'll say, "T birthday? please?" so i'll sing to him. and we'll go on like that for.ev.er! lol.

Onesie Mommy said...

I know I say this all the time but oh my, can they possibly get any cuter?!

Renae said...

Mmmm... that homemade strawberry cake sounds delicious. I'm sure my two would love a taste of some of that. Is it a secret recipe or one you could share?

I think it's great that you do a half-birthday celebration. It must be especially nice for A and B to have this day, given that there is so much Christmas hype around their actual birthday (though, I'm positively sure you'd never let another holiday overshadow the day they were born).

Love the comparison pics too. My how they grow!!!