Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

December 12, 2010

Holiday Cookie Recipes

The Multiples and More Question of the Week is about holiday cookie recipes.

One of my all-time favorite cookie recipes is for traditional butter cookies. I have cookie stamps for all occasions – including several for the holidays, of course. And this time of year, I like to sprinkle red or green colored sugar on the cookies before they bake. They look pretty on a festive plate, or tied in a goody bag with some holiday ribbon.

I like that these cookies are not overly sweet, so I don’t mind the girls having some. And I think the cookies are the perfect accompaniment for an after-dinner cup of coffee.

Butter Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour, one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. The dough will be very stiff; blend last flour in by hand. Do not chill dough.

Roll dough into smooth 1” balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Lightly spray cookie stamp with vegetable oil cooking spray. Dip stamp in sugar; shake off excess. (Use the bottom of a glass if you don't have a cookie stamp.) Press down on dough with stamp to imprint cookie. Bake on middle rack of oven for 12 – 15 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned. Place on cooling rack for 5 minutes; remove from sheet and cool. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

I made these cookies at Halloween. I rolled the dough into balls and let the girls “help” me stamp them.


As they get older, I'm sure they’ll enjoy rolling the dough into balls, and sprinkling the sugar. I know it will make for a messier kitchen, but how much fun it will be to share in this tradition with the girls!


Go check out the other holiday cookie recipes...'tis the season...enjoy!

3 comments:

Safire said...

This looks easy and tasty! Thanks for sharing!

Jennie said...

I love that these are all handy ingredients! My son and I are snowed in today... maybe we will make some cookies :)

reanbean said...

I love that this seems so easy. We don't have any cookie stamps, but I'm sure my little ones would love to help pour in ingredients and stamp the cookie balls with a glass. Perhaps well try this out tomorrow as I attempt to do some holiday baking. Thanks for sharing!