Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

December 7, 2010

Backdoor Friends are Best

On Sunday morning, as I was preparing to make our special weekly French toast breakfast, I exchanged a few quick lines with one of my BFFs. Her hubby was out of town for the weekend, and she was enjoying a lazy morning, as her boys – 8 and 11 years old – had yet to rouse.

’Bout to make French toast for the fam…come on over!

We messaged back and forth for another minute, before I said, “Seriously, why don’t you guys come over? If, of course, you don’t mind to see me pre-shower, in glasses and PJs!

I sliced up the remainder of the loaf of French bread, got out the full-size coffee pot, stacked up the newspaper from the kitchen table, and unlocked the backdoor.

I don’t have a large family, but I’m blessed to have a handful of awesome friends…those that know me and love me, even pre-shower and wearing kooky PJs…those that know the backdoor will be open for them to come in, take their shoes off, and make themselves at home.

Auntie Shanda and her boys arrived, also in their PJs (although I think she coerced her children into taking showers before they left the house).

I cranked up the Christmas music and lit the tree. We enjoyed a big spread of French toast with maple syrup and powdered sugar, coffee (for the big kids), boiled custard with fresh-grated cinnamon [thanks to Shanda] (for the boys), and ever-so-slightly warm whole milk (for the girlies).

After breakfast, we moved the party into the den. The boys practiced some indoor soccer skills with my hubs (which was as invigorating for him as it was for them). The girls were mesmerized watching the boys play. And the boys were so sweet to include them every few minutes, inviting them to kick the ball, or pausing to admire one of their toys.

Auntie Shanda and I got in a little girl time amid refereeing the soccer match and giving cuddles to the girls.

Here is Baby A, loving Auntie Shanda and her hat.



And here are A and B, cuddled with their “cousins” A-Man and Ri-Guy.



As the saying goes, backdoor friends are best…and I’d like to edit that to add that friends who’ll literally come over in their PJs are even better.

9 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I would love this kind of friend... especially one who stayed at home during the week too! All of my close friends are over an hour away. Your breakfast sounds delicious!!!

Sara said...

What a great way to spend the morning. It's so nice for you to have a friend that close who can actually just drop in. (Especially in their Pjs!) Much like Jennie, most of my friends are a bit of a drive away, but I wish they weren't. Looks like a happy morning and something to be thankful for this season. :)

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I would LOVE this! I love friends who just come in and make themselves at home. We only have one and he's in California (works for Google) now but he's the one who came to cook for us as a baby shower gift! LOVE HIM!

Anonymous said...

:) exactly! i like to call these people "chosen family"

reanbean said...

This sounds so nice! None of my closest friends live close enough to do this sort of thing, but I'm beginning to make some new mommy friends as we meet new kids/moms through our activities. So, maybe this could happen for us someday...

Rebecca said...

So much fun! Love it!

Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

Every.single.one of my girlfriends lives at least 3 hours away. I guess that's the product of living in a college town, when everyone graduates they move for jobs. But we stayed to do grad school.

It looks like y'all had fun and it's so cool that you have that! The french toast sounds amazing and I just realized that I'm out of eggs so I can't satisfy the craving! haha

Anonymous said...

:) :) :) LOVE you, Friend!!! And love my baby girls too! That was the best Sunday morning I can recall! Thank you for having us over for a positively delish b'fast and an even better few hours of friend-time. LYLARMI!

Christina said...

What a fun morning! Your lucky to have such great friends close by!