Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

June 25, 2010

Mikey Likes It!

So I’m feeling a slight bit guilty…

...guilty for passing on dishes to our sweet, unassuming girls that didn't quite meet Hubby's and my "high culinary standards". :)

A couple of weeks ago I made a dish called Chicken in Creamy Pan Sauce. I cooked my chicken breasts in a skillet, set them aside, and then made a cream sauce from chicken broth and cream cheese…sounds pretty good, huh? Well, the taste was excellent, but in hindsight, the chicken breasts were too thick to be cooked like that. They turned out a wee bit tough. Hubby and I ate one portion for dinner, but we weren’t thrilled about the thought of leftovers.

I had originally intended for the girls to eat this dish, as well, and I decided I’d give it a try nonetheless. They loved it! When I cut the breasts into small pieces and served it up with a little extra cream sauce, the toughness was not an issue (or at least they didn’t complain).

Then, a few days ago, I made Scalloped Potatoes for the first time. I used my handy-dandy slicer to get the potatoes really thin, about 1/8” like the recipe noted. I followed the directions for the cream sauce and casserole assembly, and pulled the dish out of the oven just in time to meet my roast.

I don’t know what happened, but the potatoes weren’t quite done. Again, the taste was excellent, but there was a little more “crunch” than one would normally associate with scalloped potatoes. And again, Hubby and I ate one portion, but I then returned the dish to the oven to bake a little longer.

The next day, when I went to serve up leftovers, I found the potatoes STILL weren’t quite done. Hmmm…what to do? I didn’t think it was a good idea to return a cold casserole dish to the oven to bake even more. But hey, the girls don’t know what the texture of scalloped potatoes should be!

I cut the casserole into bite-size pieces and served it to the girls. They loved it! The “firmer” texture of the potatoes actually made it easier for them to pick it up (or so I told myself).

The girls got a few additional servings of these dishes over what I’d originally planned, and Hubby and I got to move on to the next menu item. Everybody won!

...but that doesn’t stop me from feeling a little guilty that I could be construed as using the girls as cute little garbage disposals…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

someone has to eat it, right? :) their palate is not as refined as yours. also...it just will make you look like a better cook later, lol, when they get the "good stuff"!!

wonder when we should start giving our kids stuff like that? they're still just eating baby food and the occasional cracker and puff.

Natalie said...

Ah, don't be so hard on yourself! Like you said, they don't know the difference...and they LIKE it! I say keep doing what you're doing :)

On a side note: I'm SO jealous that they'll eat that stuff! My almost 3 year old son doesn't eat anything but tater tots, hot dogs, and chicken nuggets...ugh!

Unknown said...

I think it's just creative use of leftovers. There is nothing wrong with that! Besides, they liked it!