Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

August 18, 2011

Pardon Me While I Catch My Breath

Seeing them almost every minute of every day, I often find it hard to look at my own children and really gauge how big they are.

It usually hits me when I see my friends’ children. And sometimes when I remark, “They’re so big! I can’t believe how grown they are!” my one friend reminds me that my girls are, in fact, four months older than her girls.

We had a great time yesterday playing with our dear friends K and S, who are exactly one week older than A and B.

Of course seeing the four kiddos, leaping and bounding around the den, talking and interacting, it struck me how BIG K and S are. They’re not babies…they’re little kids! And I guess that means my girlies are BIG, too.

It seems like just yesterday the four of them were crawling around the den, not a word to their names.



And yesterday, they all piled on the couch and responded to Miss Jenny’s, “Everybody say ‘hooray!’” and “Everybody stick out your tongues!” while I snapped some pictures.


Huh???

It was such a fun morning, but a really eye-opening one, as well.

To underscore my realization of my BIG kids, the girls and I took a quick trip to Kohl’s yesterday to buy a few long-sleeve shirts and pants. [Cooler weather eventually has to get here, right???]

I instinctively steered the stroller to the same spot where I’ve been shopping for the past three years. “Oh, aren’t these bibs the cutest?! And look at these little Halloween costumes!

…and then it hit me. That section is for NB through 24 months.

Gulp.

I had to walk past all that baby cuteness to the preschool section.

Gulp.

2T - 4T.

Yep, my girls are BIG.


Don’t mistake me for complaining. This is The Most Amazing Age.
But pardon me while I catch my breath…and perhaps consult my chiropractor for this mean case of whiplash.

14 comments:

Deanna said...

I know exactly what you mean!! When we were shopping the other day, I grabbed two of those long-sleeve one-piece outfits from Carters (you know--like rompers, but long sleeves and pants?) that was on the 70% off rack. I told myself that the girls are really too big for them, but they can still wear 24 months, and darn it--they're going to wear the simple one-piece outfits one more time! : )

championm2000 said...

I hear you! I had the same experience at Kohl's last week while trying to take advantage of all the clearance deals. I have loved them at every age, but it seems to go so fast...

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

It is bittersweet isn't it?!?!? I look forward to when Ave & Bryce will use "thier words" but want to cry a little that I won't be able to just hold them (like I use to be able too!)

Bittersweet it is forsure!

:)

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Love the before and after pics :)

I know - the clothes really tell a story - just today both the kids are showing more ankle at the bottom of their tracksuit pants LOL

Julia said...

That's so awesome that you have a friend to walk through this experience of twins with! LOVE the picture of all of them together!

They do grow up so fast! How wonderful, Mandy, that you take time to cherish each and every moment!

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

I feel your pain. And I really miss that baby section at the store! :)

Mandy said...

I just did the same thing at the store! I kept looking through the newborn sizes for a 2t and 3t (because I have to buy for the follow year if it's something adorable) and I was astounded they didn't have any. DH promptly informed me I was in the baby section. DUH! I'm shopping for my babies!!

Renae said...

It does seem to happen in just the blink of an eye. It's really hit me recently that I have big kids because, suddenly, I'm no longer allowed to accompany my kids to their activities. They're all drop off at this point. And, if I'm lucky, I might get to crowd around the observation window with all the other moms, hoping to catch a little glimpse of my two in action.

On the other hand, my kids are on the small side for height and weight, so compared to their peers, they still look little. I keep telling them (jokingly, of course), that I want them to stay this little forever. Tiny, of course, never fails to bring me back to reality with, "I doesn't work that way, Mama." :o)

Holly G said...

Today my friend said to me, "I can't believe my girls will be this big one day," as she walked with me and my daughter through JoAnn's. I thought, as big as what? Me? Oh, she meant as big as my daughter! I had to catch my breath for a moment there too. I didn't realize that my 3 1/2 year old daughter is much bigger than her 18-month old twin girls! Silly me!!

Andrea said...

Oh, I so get it!! I like you am enjoying every minute of each stage, but slow down already!! I too love the comparison pics!!

MultipleMum said...

I know what you mean. I had two of these moments today. Firstly, I put the Minx's hair in a pony tail and she looked so.grown.up. And then we went to those awful play centres that kids love and parents hate and they went on all the BIG slides and things. Such big kids now x

Twinside Out said...

They do grow so fast, don't they? I feel like I blinked and mine went from newborns to toddlers. Love the pictures of all four kids together! What fun!

Unknown said...

Yeah...you know what's worse? That that 2T-5/6 is the next section...and I'm having to go up to the KIDS section already! I'm buying 6/7s for Jacob already!! OMG! (ok...he is just a TALL 4 year old but still! 6/7s???!!!) Sarah's pretty much heading full speed into 6s also for length. (although she's so skinny, I need to try to make 5s last for pants.)

LOVE play dates! esp with other twins!!

Rebecca said...

Love that you have the pictures to compare...yes, your kids are big kids!

I always stop at the "baby" section...I don't know why. It seriously takes me a minute to realize that I'm in the wrong place...dur!