Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

May 23, 2013

A Bit About Me, May Edition


My birthday is February 23.  On the 23rd of each month, I share a couple of random facts about myself.  So, for the month of May...here 'tis!

I have a long history with ironing boards.

I’m not one to iron very frequently.  My work clothes always went to the cleaners, and I have few opportunities to wear anything that requires ironing these days.  Once upon a time, I ironed Hubby’s shirts and pants…until, that is, I discovered the wonders of wrinkle-free fabric.  He’s a teacher and a coach, I rationalize: he doesn’t have to be dressed to the nines.

Over the past five years, I’ve ironed more than I did the previous five years, although that’s not saying much.  Still, I find myself ironing a few of the girls’ outfits for pictures and special occasions.

[I should note I’m using the same ironing board my dad bought me when I moved into my first apartment, as well as the same travel iron I got before I went to college.  I’m guessing technology has improved in the last 20 years...perhaps I should consider investing in a new iron?]

It dawned on me a couple of days ago, as the girls were pretending to iron the carpet (I had stashed the iron in my closet over the weekend and hadn’t put it away)…I used to have a tiny little ironing board and pretend iron when I was a kiddo.  I saw my mom ironing all the time (I remember she’d iron and watch some soap opera during the middle of the day), and I guess I loved imitating her.

That just strikes me as funny.  The girls have a ton of pretend kitchen stuff…pots and pans and all sorts of food…but nothing so utilitarian.

It’s not that I mind ironing so much these days…it’s kinda fun to press those itty-bitty outfits for the girls…but it’s not exactly something I’d enjoy pretending in my spare time. 

I love to jump.

I saw this e-card a couple of days ago…coincidentally just hours after I’d been jumping with the girls.


A year ago, I went in the bounce houses with the girls primarily as a safety precaution.  I wanted to make sure they weren’t running into each other, and that other kids weren’t running into them.  I climbed up the gigantic slide ladder behind them to make sure they didn’t slip back down.

These days, they’re pretty proficient jumpers and climbers.  As long as it’s not crowded, they can handle their own around each other and other kids.

Yet, I still jump and climb and slide.  It’s a great workout…the girls love to show me their tricks…and it’s FUN!!!  Continue to stare, fellow mamas…I know my toe-touches are something to envy.  Bwahahaha!  But I'm getting a front row seat to my girls' shining eyes and contagious laughter.

3 comments:

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

I love to bounce too. Do you have an trampoline park nearby you? They are all over the place here, and SO fun for a ladies' night out. I usually forget how old and out of shape I am when I go, and do flips and over do it. Then I can't walk for a week or two. :)

And, I'm ashamed to say that I can probably count on my hands how many times I've ever ironed.

Mandy said...

Every new iron lasts a shorter period of time, a friendly warning to not completely ditch old faithful!

We need to bounce sometime! I dislike climbing out a hot, sweaty mess, but oh how I love to bounce. Cousin and I made out aunt declare "adult bounce" out the family reunion so we could bounce with squashing kiddos.

Mrs FF said...

One household chore I don't like is ironing! It's too exhausting. I can hand wash a whole load of laundry but ironing, nope!!!