Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

December 1, 2011

An Invitation I Can't Resist

Our girls love books…always have, in some form or fashion. Over the past couple of weeks, though, it seems like all they want to do is read and be read to.

They’ve also been in a snuggly mood quite a bit of the time.

Put the two together, and I just can’t turn down their invitations to join them on the couch.

Most mornings after breakfast, I take a little time to drink some coffee and catch up on the computer, while they play independently. They usually do really well with this routine.

But after a while, they’ve been asking me to come read to them.

They’ve been gathering some blankets and making themselves little nests on the couch…with a space in between themselves for Mommy.

How can I resist such an invitation???

And last night, when we were snuggled on the couch after supper, in a very similar pose, Baby A somehow got even sweeter. She was holding the book we were reading, and she kept wiggling around, bumping my arm. I told her it was hard for Mommy to read when she wasn’t holding the book still.

“I’m trying to get closer to you,” she said.

I know this phase won’t last forever, so I’m doing my best to appreciate the moment, and soaking it all in while I can.

(I am sharing the love with Daddy when he gets home from work, though...Mama's voice box needs a rest from time to time!)

10 comments:

Renae said...

Snuggles are the best! My guys also love to pullout books (tons of them!) and pull Mommy or Daddy over to the couch for some snuggles and reading. What's been a nice treat is that in the last few months, they've enjoyed "reading" to us as well. There are a few books in our collection that they've memorized word for word, and it's been so fun to hear their sweet little voices reading some of their favorites.

Julia said...

So sweet :)

I've been resisiting two temptations lately. The first is to get out the books we bought the girls for Christmas, just to have something new to read. The second is to buy more and more and more books for them for Christmas, you know---to (hopefully) diversify what we read.

We have a collection of seasonal books, which I rotate through during the appropriate seasons. Yesterday the girls found my stash. So---they pulled out the Halloween books, Easter books, got the Thanksgiving books back out, and even the Groundhog Day book. Mama needs a new hiding spot for our "out of season" books. Reading about Corduroy's Halloween just doesn't feel right this time of year :)

Beth said...

What sweeties! You're right, it is futile to even try to resist those adorable little girls asking to cuddle and read. Just snuggle in and enjoy them!

Brad Jenkins said...

Great pic and post! We have mostly the same routine as far as me taking over for mama when I get home.

Also, we have the same couch!

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

Oh, how precious is she!?

Marcia (123 blog) said...

They are too precious - I wouldn't resist either.

The other day I was LATE for a meeting!!!! because the kids called me back for kisses and I couldn't resist :) Esp if it's Connor because he's not a kissy child

championm2000 said...

I understand completely.

Em and Drew love this old Mother Goose book (that I have no idea where it came from).

We read it 50 times a day (and I'm at work 8+ hours).

Unknown said...

LOVE those snuggles!! Tonight after dinner, we let the kids watch a Christmas DVD that Sarah got from the library. All 5 of us were snuggled up on the couch and after some shifting, I had Jacob and Adam on my lap and Sarah under my arm next to me.

Can you say Heaven??? I was kinda wishing the movie was longer...

Miss Megan said...

How absolutely precious!! No way I would be able to resist that invitation either. I would be absolutely eating that up too! I miss my snuggles dearly!

Holly G said...

That is so very sweet! I'd have hard time resisting such an invitation as well. Your girls will be reading to you before you know it!