My birthday is on February 23rd, and on the 23rd of each month, I've taken to sharing a couple of random things about me.
As yesterday marked our twelfth wedding anniversary, I’m dedicating this month’s “A Bit About Me” to twelve things about our wedding / marriage to date.
[And yes, that means I was 12 when we got married…no way am I old enough to really have been married TWELVE YEARS!!!]
1) Hubby and I knew each other for four and a half years before we got engaged, and we’d been dating for just over three years.
2) I picked out my engagement ring a couple of months prior to when my hubby proposed. I was fine with that…it ensured I got the ring I wanted…but I told him he had to figure out the proposal on his own.
3) Hubby proposed to me on New Year’s Eve 1998, on the beach, at sunset. I don’t remember anyone else being on the beach, but there was a group of people on a nearby balcony. We didn’t see them until after I said “yes”, and they all clapped for us.
4) Our engagement was just less than six months. We didn’t have a big wedding, so we didn’t need a lot of time to plan, so that length was just perfect in my book.
5) We got married on a Tuesday afternoon, on what would have been my parents’ 25th wedding anniversary.
6) We got married in an old antebellum mansion, just off the University of Alabama campus. For a short period of time, that house had served as the state capital.
7) We had a small wedding…only about 40 close friends and family…and no wedding attendants. I actually loved the idea of standing in front of everyone with only my husband.
8) We had stargazer lilies as part of the decorations at the reception. I love the way they look, but hate the way they smell! Nonetheless, that smell always reminds me (fondly!) of our wedding day.
9) Everything went as planned during our wedding…except that I forgot my bouquet. I didn’t realize it until I was all the way down the aisle. Oops!
10) I wore something old [my mom’s wedding ring], something new [my wedding dress], something borrowed [pearl earrings from my grandmother that my dad had given her], and something blue [an embroidered handkerchief from my aunt]. I love traditions!
11) We went to Cancun on our honeymoon. We vowed we’d go back every five years to celebrate. We made it there for our fifth anniversary…but for our tenth, we were a little busy with a couple of five-month olds! We’re aiming to make up for it on our fifteenth anniversary, when we hope to take the girls with us!
12) In the first four years of our marriage, we lived in four states and owned four houses. Thankfully, the past eight years have been much more settled!
It's not always been easy (nor do I think it's supposed to have been)...but it's mostly been fun...and I can't imagine sharing this journey with anyone else.