Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

January 4, 2011

Back to Life, Back to Reality

(…in my best En Vogue impression...sorry for the visual...)

I think that one of the challenges of being a stay-at-home mom to young children is that most days look very much the same. Particularly because I am very schedule-oriented, a Tuesday looks a lot like a Friday, which bears a striking resemblance to a Sunday.

My hubby is a teacher. Between three snow days and the holidays, he was home with us for almost three weeks. Monday was his first day back at work.

I certainly wouldn’t say I had a “holiday break”…I still changed every single diaper and fed the girls every single meal…but yesterday, when I realized my first opportunity to shower wouldn’t be until after lunch, it hit me that I at least enjoyed a little more freedom these past couple of weeks.

Yes, I had more freedom…to shower when the girls were (gasp!) awake…to make a couple of grocery store runs in the middle of the day, sans kiddos…to take a couple of naps downstairs with the baby monitor off (as hubby was napping upstairs with the monitor on)…and to get out and about during naptime, making good use of my Starbucks giftcard.

And what about the girls?



They enjoyed considerable snuggling with Daddy.

And Daddy?



He enjoyed all sorts of culinary creations.

This week, the girls and I will work to get back in our little groove, and Daddy will get to enjoy a few extra welcome-home kisses at the end of the day. While we enjoyed the holiday break, "back to reality" is probably a good thing.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had a good three weeks! It's nice to have extra help.

Beth said...

I always send my husband back to work with mixed emotions. Of course I love having him home and hate for him to be gone all day, but our routine does flow more smoothly when it's just the six of us.

Glad you and your girls enjoyed your extra time with your hubby!

Quadmama said...

We had some extra days with daddy, too which really messed with the routine. I say that in a good way, but now I've got to remember how to do things without him around!

MultipleMum said...

It is hard when reality sets back in and you are back to the grind huh? Glad you had a good change of scenery with hubby at home. I hope you can keep some holiday mojo going a bit longer :)

Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

Man, I'm jealous of your 3 weeks!

I totally relate to what you mean about how all the days all look the same, that was phrased perfectly. My everyday is pretty much the same, but I love Saturday and Sunday when Todd is there.

Sara said...

Three weeks sounds nice! I understand about the each days looks like the next. Thats how our house runs too. Except when daddy is home. Then things run a bit different. :) I always miss the adult conversation the most thoes first few days with The Husband gone. We had him for 2 extra days over the holidays and it was wonderful. Lots of tea parties and games of chase. Already looking forward to the weekend. :)

Andrea said...

Glad you were able to have a little bit of a break! I am the first to say being a SAHM is a hard job! I realize that especially after any time I have any extended time off work. It is a 24/7 job. I hate to say this, but at least when I go to work I have some ME time. I hope that doesn't make me sound like a bad Mom. For example - Two weeks ago I had the head stuff that was going around my house. I guess my voice sounded bad, so my boss asked me if I needed to go home. I of course replied " I would rather be sick at work because if I was home I would have to be sick plus take care of 2 toddlers". ;-) Take care, Andrea

Unknown said...

I was glad to have DH off over my break too. I do it all over the summer when I'm home with the kids but he's always working then so rarely is there another referee or partner to tag-team. It was nice having him around all week, too!

reanbean said...

We only had a little over a week with T home on holiday break, but I'm feeling the same about getting "back to reality". It was nice to have a couple of extra hands and the freedom to do things (like workout at the gym during nap time) that I wouldn't normally be able to do. Yesterday was tough, but today was much better.

Mandy said...

Same thing here! Of course Dh was always under foot, but I also missed taking a shower before nap and his homemade breakfasts! I also love that he will watch the girls while I tackle home improvement tasks, babies + wood putty = one unhappy mama!

Rebecca said...

You're sweet...I was kind of glad to get back into our routine though. Does that make me ungrateful? I loved having him around, but we were thrown way off!

If you got that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day, I'm hunting you down!!!