Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

October 5, 2011

I'm Kind of Ashamed to Admit This...

…and this is not even the first time I’m writing about this.

What is wrong with me???

Or can this be characterized as part of the “dignity you lose when you have kids”???

::sigh:: ::deep breath::

Here ‘goes.

I ‘fessed up once before about watching Jon & Kate + Eight. I talked about having watched a few early episodes of the show, in awe of the simple idea of So Many Kids in such a small space.

When we began to make family plans, I started to pay a little closer attention, and then I began watching religiously when we learned we were having twins. I know TWINS are not SEXTUPLETS, but as an only child I was grasping for any insight I could get.

When the girls were born, I would sometimes relax during nap time by watching something mindless on TV…and at that time, it was so easy to find reruns of J&K+8 throughout the day. I remember they ran from 9:00 - 10:00, coinciding perfectly with the girls’ morning nap. I’d often tune in to maybe learn a little something…or doze off to the sounds of children laughing and crying (and Kate yelling).

I know the family had external help – I really think you’d HAVE TO with that many children – but I still found odd comfort in the situation. If Kate could do it with eight kiddos, I know I can make it through the next feeding with my two, I’d tell myself.

At the time when things started to turn south for Jon and Kate, I was still able to watch bits and pieces of the morning news programs (based on my girls’ schedule). I watched sadly as the family began to tear apart in such a public forum. My mind, of course, was on the children, kiddos I felt I “knew” a little bit from having watched them grow for quite some time now.

I’ve continued to tune in to watch the Gosselin family over the past year or so. There’s been much less learning about life with multiples, more watching the family on various adventures around the globe. Still, it has fulfilled my need for mindless TV (now after the girls are in bed, as I don’t dare turn on the TV during naps!). And I do occasionally make mental notes about experiences I’d like to have with the girls one day.

I think it was from the cover of a tabloid magazine in the grocery store newsstand that I learned Kate + Eight was being cancelled. I wasn’t surprised, as the show has lost most of its original appeal, at least in my opinion.

Still, I was a little sad…sad for the reminder of the break-apart of that family…and sad that something I’ve oddly tied in with my own family’s story was ending.

I watched the final episode on my DVR a couple of nights ago. And I’m kind of ashamed to admit this…but I may have gotten a little misty-eyed.

***

Like my new look??? I've still gotta learn my way around some of my new bells and whistles, but I L-O-V-E it!!!

Stay tuned next week for an Official Kick-off [at least it will be "official" to me], complete with a giveaway!

15 comments:

Mandy said...

Look at you and your spiffy new site! It's amazing!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Oh please! I watch the Bold and the Beautiful :) Then again, it's the only TV and 20 mins M-F won't kill me, right?

Also, you can tell us you BAWLED! We'll cyber hug you :)

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

I thought I'd clicked on the worng blog...LOL! I LVOE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

You have nothing to be ashamed of...trust me...I am a reality junkie!

:)

Cuz I'm the mama! said...

LOVE your new look....I'm determined to get mine updated.....hard to find the time! Your's looks great!

Deanna said...

Your blog looks AWESOME!! : )

I stopped watching Jon & Kate years ago, but I did enjoy them back in the days when they were more like a normal family, just trying to get through the day. Sad to see what all the family has been through since then!

Jill said...

I agree with you on the Gosselins...I started watching their show when I was pregnant with the girls to reassure myself that surely I could handle "just two!" I must say, the final episode was not kind to Kate and I suppose it was deserved. Sad to see the family fall apart...

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

I LOVE your beautiful new blog layout! And you have a button!!! :)

I also thought for a second that I had somehow clicked the wrong blog. :)

Andrea said...

My eyes might have watered up a bit too! So sad how it went out!! Glad to hear I was not alone!!

Oh I have to say this again....love, love & love your new look!!

Mama Mama Quite Contrary said...

Very snazzy new look!

I've never seen the show but that is mostly because I haven't had cable in about 20 years. That being said, I am sure I would have watched. I would imagine it is a bit like an accident. You can't turn away!

championm2000 said...

I love the new design! Perfect!

Beth said...

What a good looking blog!! Love it!

So, my take on the whole Kate thing is a bit different. I had seen the show several times when I discovered that I was pregnant with the quads. Knowing absolutely no one who even had triplets, much less quads, I was desperate to talk to someone who knew what I was going through. My sister found an email address for Kate and I sent her an email pouring out my heart about how frightened and overwhelmed I was about the pregnancy. The very next morning, this woman I had never met in my life, who had a very busy life of her own sent me a very sweet reply. She gave sympathy and encouragement. She assured me that my emotions at the time were completely normal and that I would be a great mom and embrace my new family.

I was so touched that she took the time to reach out to me. For that she will always be okay in my eyes. She has a tough exterior, but I believe a good heart underneath.

After I had the quads, I never saw the show again. After we moved we never had cable or satellite again. I have been sad to watch the family break up. Now that they have been on tv for so long, I think people often forget that these are real people going through real pain. I wish all of them a happy future.

Jayme said...

Your site looks great!

I watched in the beginning, and then a few times at the end. I saw the series finale, and I thought it was pretty good- a nice ending to the show.

Anonymous said...

omg. love the new look :) i'm a few days late and i thought i was in the wrong place!! lol.

i totally agree about jk+8. it has been so sad. the funny thing was that b and i used to watch it together and think that we could learn something. then it just started to get painful. i just felt sad for all of them. and b felt sad for the amount of time the kate would yell at jon. no one was happy. i have not seen it since the kids were born. and that seems totally strange to me!! crazy, right??

Amanda said...

I love the cute site update!
-Amanda D

Rebecca said...

Love love love the new look...it's awesome.

I agree about the Gosseling Fam...sad. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.