Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

February 4, 2012

Budding Artists?

We bought the girls small magnetic drawing pads for our mini-vacation last summer. They had fun playing with them in the hotel, and I kept them packed in our "travel bag" for future such trips.

Our sweet Miss Jennifer gave the girls similar magnetic drawing pads for Christmas, and the girls had a blast playing with them in the den. After a play date at a friend's house, where the girls really enjoyed the larger Magna Doodles, we decided to invest in two of them with some of the girls' birthday money.

What a fantastic investment that has been!

The girls L-O-V-E to draw. It's not at all unusual to find them like this...


...for 20 or so minutes at a time!

The girls love to draw themselves, and of course they love to request drawings upon drawings from Mommy.

And when Mommy draws, she sometimes tries to sneak in some letters and numbers, too. To the girls, it's all part of the game, but I think the drawing pads are really a great - and fun! - learning tool.

I've been amazed, too, at how well the girls draw on them. With crayons, they still mostly scribble...lots of colors, all mixed together.

Maybe the pen glides more easily across the drawing pad...or maybe it more closely resembles an actual pen...but the girls hold it in pretty good form, and they've made quite a few masterpieces (I think!).

Here's B, showing off one of the first examples I saw her make of an actual face...


...and here's A, so very proud of her "A"s.

Of course, I can't always recognize the girls' drawings. Here's A, with her signature letter, and B explained, "This is a type of animal...that I really love!"


I'm with Julia at Pontifications of a Twin Mom again this week for her great link-up, Mama Loves.

I don't know if we have budding artists on our hands, but this mama certainly loves these doodlers, and so do Baby A and Baby B!

12 comments:

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

Budding artists for sure...that's great!!

I hope you guys have a fabulous weekend!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

They are very talented :)

And cute as buttons!

(do you always dress them the same? And if one messes on herself, do you only change that one, or do you change them both into matching clothes? I've always wondered!)

I have small (cheap) magnadoodle type things that I bought for their birthday LAST year - still haven't given it to them. I think I should haul them out.

cat said...

Those are the greatest toys . And I also,want to know about the dissing. I almost never even jy mine the same clothes never mind dress them the same.

Julia said...

Masterpieces for sure! :) Look at how proud they are to show you their work---precious!

I've thought about getting some of these for our girls. We might have to use some of their birthday money for this as well.... :)

Thanks so much for linking up today, Mandy!

April said...

love this. our kids will "do art" forever if we let them. b is an artist by nature and job, so it's so fun to see him with them guiding their little imaginations!!

....of course i also hear, "mommy, i need a piece of paper. i have to make a list!"

ahahhaha.

and LOVE those pictures!!!
strongblonde.wordpress.com

Cheryl Lage said...

Omigosh those are AWESOME!!! Keep photographing the boards....I remember being so upset on occasion about the impermanence of the magnet board images...but what a GREAT diversion and creative time. :)

Precious!

Holly G said...

My kids love those boards too! We only have the travel-size ones, but they still play with them all the time.

Melissa Ann said...

Love our Doodle Pros too! And we only have the travel size! Today Aeralind drew an owl for me: it was a circle with lots of scrawlings. But a circle?! She never does that sort of thing with crayons!

Mandy said...

The girls love their magna-doodles too. My only issue is that they also love crayons, paint, and other paper art and usually ask to add these to their magna-doodles. They haven't quite gotten that some mediums are limited.

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

Those are some pretty impressive A's!!! :)

Unknown said...

Magna Doodles = way better than the EtchaSketch! ha!

What fantastic drawings!! Keep nurturing that talent!!

Rebecca said...

This is so great! I love it when their creations become recognizable!