Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

May 19, 2010

Taste the Rainbow!

No, our girls aren’t eating Lucky Charms (although that suddenly sounds good to me…). I try to offer them as much variety in the way of fruits and veggies as I can.

Red = tomatoes, strawberries

Orange = sweet potatoes, carrots, peaches, oranges, mangoes

Yellow = squash, potatoes, cauliflower, pineapple, pears, bananas

Green = brussel sprouts, zucchini, avocado, okra, broccoli, peas, kiwi

Blue = blueberries

Indigo = grapes

Violet = beets

As my girlfriend says, “I don’t want to be a chicken nuggets and Doritos mama!" (But hey, Doritos sound awful good to me, too...I guess they could fit into the “orange” category…)

7 comments:

Christina said...

I haven't tried Avocado...I might have to try that one!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm doritos......

Sadia said...

My husband tells me that he wasn't taught this in his American public schools, but I was always taught that the way to ensure that you had enough different vitamins was to sample fruits and veggies from across the colour spectrum. Fantastic job!

(Jess won't eat yellow fruits of veggies. I hadn't considered pears yellow, though. She likes those. Do mangoes count?)

The Mommy said...

Sounds very wholesome. My kids eat mostly everything on that list and enjoy it too.
(including occasional ice-cream and chips..arhh, can't help it)

Renae said...

Looks very similar to the foods my kids enjoy, minus the Brussel sprouts, okra, and beets. I don't think I've ever offered them, though. Sounds like you're doing a great job with getting them started with healthy foods as the norm. And a few chicken nuggets or Doritos shouldn't hurt them. It's all about moderation, right?

Mohini said...

okra - that is the only one on your list my twins have not tried yet.

Sonora said...

I think it is so hard to get little kids to eat a variety of things. It is a constant struggle for me. Sometimes I end up being a chips and yogurt mom way more than I want to. Oh well, there is always room for improvement I guess.