Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

April 5, 2015

Bunny Cake Memories

I remember my mom making a bunny cake one Easter.  I’d guess I was seven or eight.  I remember it being covered in coconut, and there were jelly beans for the eyes, nose, and whiskers.

I don’t remember all the details, but it was a surprise at my nan's house for Easter dinner, and I clearly remember being in awe.  In my mind, I must have asked my mom 10 times, “Did you really make this??!!!” 

That, of course, was long before the days of Pinterest and themed play dates.  My mom was a great cook…skilled particularly in all things sweet…but I guess that’s the first time I saw an edible “craft”, so to speak.

This year, I decided to create some bunny cake memories with my girls.  I baked the cake, and they watched as I assembled it into a bunny shape…grinning and giggling all the while.

Baby A, spreading the jelly...in Christmas pajamas, of course.

I had intended to let the girls ice the cake, but my icing turned out a little on the stiff side.  They watched patiently while I covered the cake in white, and then they were very eager to choose the exact jelly beans they wanted to use for decoration.

Expertly adding the jelly beans, while Daddy and Alex watch.

They of course had to sample along the way…the cake scraps, the icing, and the jelly beans.  I don’t know that they were in awe to the same degree I was as a child, but they were delighted, nonetheless.

Two proud baby girls!!!

With the chocolate in the girls’ (and hubby’s) baskets, we didn’t exactly need more sweets in the house.  But seeing my girlies smile…and thinking back on my own fond memories…makes for a great Easter treat all the way around.

3 comments:

Mrs FF said...

That's a beautiful bunny cake. Happy Easter to you J, A and B, hope you all had a good one and there was not too much sugar consumed

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

Good job! This was on my list of things to do, but didn't quite get to. I always hate it when my girls' birthday falls on Easter weekend. We will be dying eggs tomorrow, but they don't care that we are late. Maybe we'll make a bunny cake next week. ;) I won't be posting mine, because my baking and icing skills are not quite as advanced as yours.

yettie said...

Now that's what I call skill.

Nice to see you guys had a great Easter complete with bunnies and chocolate :)