Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

December 19, 2015

The Ultimate in One-on-One Time!

Last year, the girls’ classes went on a field trip to the skating rink just before school was out for the holiday break.  It was their first time on skates, and there were lots and lots and lots of slips and falls.  Baby A fared fine, but we had a huge scare that B fractured her arm.  Fortunately, everything turned out OK, but that is a day that will live in infamy in our memories for a long time.

At some point this fall, the school announced they would again be taking a trip to the skating rink.  Baby A was excited, but B quickly declared she didn’t want to go.  So…I spent the month of December in conversation with their teachers about how to handle that.

As it turned out, it couldn’t have worked out any better!

Baby A’s class went skating in the morning.  I was able to join her at the skating rink.  I got her skates on, and we made numerous laps, both on the carpet and on the rink.  There were still lots of slips and falls, but she had a huge smile on her face the entire time.  Mid-way through our time there, I decided to don skates myself.  (I had wanted to last year, but there was no way I could manage TWO non-skaters with wheels on my own feet.)

Balancing pretty well!
It actually seemed easier to show A some mechanics with my own skates…and I had so much FUN!  At one point I was trying to illustrate something to A.  I skated a few feet and pivoted around.  A little boy – maybe a year older? – witnessed my “move”.  “WHOA!  You’re like Super Mom!” he gasped.  HA!  And I even enjoyed a round of speed skating while Baby A took a break. 

(The only pic I have of the two of us...HA!)

Last night, my A couldn’t stop talking about “THE MOST FUN EVER!!!”  She had such a great time, and I am so very thankful I got to share it with her.

When I left the skating rink, I went to pick B up from school.  It would technically count as a tardy for her to miss a little bit of the school day, but I decided that wasn’t a big deal since she’s missed a day and a half already.  She was SO excited to have 2 ½ hours with Mommy…AND to get to decide exactly what she wanted to do!

She chose to go to Cambridge Market for lunch.  She had her favorites – a chicken salad sandwich and white bean chowder.  She originally ordered fruit, but they were out.  She chose Brussels sprouts as the substitute.  (Hee hee!)

After lunch, we went to the jewelry store to pick out a new bead for her bracelet (since she just lost her second front tooth last Friday).  And then we made a quick trip by the pottery shop to pick up the ornaments we painted last week.

We walked through the downtown square...one of our favorite places!

We still had plenty of time to go to the book store to pick out a couple of outstanding Christmas presents.  And of course B got to enjoy some hot chocolate in the café.

A huge smile and a whipped cream mustache!
It was so much fun for me to do exactly what B wanted to do.


What a great day it was, for all of us!!!

No comments: