Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

October 10, 2014

Football = Soccer ???

...well, not in this country…but I can see my sweet kiddos trying to figure it all out.

This mama is a huge football fan (of the American sort), Alabama Crimson Tide football, to be more exact.  While it was only over the last year that we actually let the girls watch any football (the TV is rarely on while the girls are awake), they’ve been decked in Crimson and White since they were tiny.



Soccer also runs deep at our house.  I didn’t grow up with the sport, buy my hubby lives and breathes it.  It’s his true passion.

The girls have logged much more English Premier League soccer time in front of the telly than they have football, for sure.  And we play a lot of it, too…in our basement, in the front yard, and every chance we get to go to the park.



I see the sports as being so completely different, but I recognize now they can cause a little confusion to the wee ones.

We were at the park a few weeks ago, kicking the soccer ball around.  Baby A did something really nice, and I congratulated her, “That was AWESOME!”  She threw her little hands in the air and yelled, “TOUCHDOWN!

Daddy just shook his head.

I got my turn at head shaking during the Alabama game this past weekend.  During the first quarter, the opposing team scored first on a field goal.  After a few minutes (still during the first quarter), B said somberly, “Mommy, I don’t think Alabama is going to win.”  WHY would you say that, Sweetie???  “Well, they have three goals, and we don’t have any.”


I had to laugh (perhaps to keep from crying)!

...hmmm...maybe they can play soccer at The University of Alabama...yes, that's it!!!

4 comments:

Mrs FF said...

Yes! That's a fantastic compromise! You know I'm a fan of the real "football" ahem soccer!

We better make sur rugby is not added to to mix because then they would wonder why the big men playing football have no protective gear on or call the touchdown a TRY

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

You know I'm hoping they play soccer, right? There is nothing cuter! :)

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I don't watch much these days but when I was at university, we'd sit in the common room on a Sat watching Premier League soccer....

They look really cute with J playing soccer.

cat said...

Yes, that will work!