Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

August 8, 2014

First Day of Kindergarten!!

Wednesday was the girls' first day of kindergarten!  It was really hard for this mama to believe...and even harder for me to swallow...but I focused on the girls' excitement for their next big adventure.

I decided to spare the girls an early-morning photo shoot.  Baby B was raring to go when I woke them up at 6:20...but A, despite being reminded it was the First Day of School!!!...pulled the covers over her head and said, "NOOOO!"

I enticed her out of bed with the promise of crab quiche waiting for her...one of her favorites.

B downed her plate, but A didn't eat her usual portion.  I think 6:20 is just early for my baby girl!

After breakfast, both girls galloped upstairs to brush their teeth and get dressed.  There was a small amount of coaxing, as these are new shirts (ones I bought a couple of years ago on clearance, the girls have been begging to wear them!).  They have a different neckline than what the girls are accustomed to, and A wasn't quite feeling it.  We finally moved past that, and everyone was ready for hair.  They both chose braided pigtails (much to Mommy's delight).

And then we headed to the front porch for a little photo shoot.


They loved the sign I made them!


After pictures, we were off!

We got to school at 7:30, thinking that the first day would be kinda nutty.  It was anything but...I actually questioned myself if it was, indeed, Wednesday.  The parking lot was almost empty!  We were one of the first families to walk into school that day.

The girls were SUPER excited to put on their new backpacks.  I didn't even have to beg for this picture!



And there they went...



(Of course I was following closely behind...I wasn't going to miss walking my babies into school that first day!)

We had to wait for a few minutes for the classrooms to open.  The girls were pretty quiet in the foyer of the school.  I'm sure there were a lot of things going through their little minds!

When we got to their hallway, though, they relaxed a bit.  Here are their pictures in front of their classrooms.

Love the look of anticipation on A's face!

My big girl B!

B gave me a quick hug, and filed into her classroom.  Next door, A gave me a quick hug, and she was gone, ever-so-slightly more tentatively, too.

When I got to school to pick them up that afternoon, the car line was already quite long.  I waited, watching intently to see if I could catch a glimpse of them walking outside to the pick-up area.  I didn't see the girls...but I did see Hubby!  What a surprise it was for all of us!

He managed to get away from his school a bit early, and he headed over to see the girls.  The three of them had to wait until I pulled around, but he was able to walk them to the car.  Baby B had a smile on her face, but A was a little bit overwhelmed, I think.  She wasn't upset, but I know she missed her mommy.

Both girls were EX-HAUS-TED that afternoon.  Still, they loved their strawberry smoothie I made as a special snack.  For supper, I made split pea soup, and A said, "Oh, this is very special, too!"  Hahaha!

The girls told us all about their first day.  A's favorite part was getting to draw a farm during centers.  B's favorite part was watching a cartoon of a pig trying to climb a refrigerator (?).

The girls had two recess sessions that day, but they didn't get to see each other.  They saw each other in the lunchroom, but only from afar.  (They told that matter-of-factly, but I think everyone will be happy when their regular schedule kicks in on Monday and they are together for reading and math.)

I am very thankful that the girls had a great first day (and so far, a great first week).  They are super-pooped, though...I know everyone is thankful this first week is a short one.  Welcome the Weekend!!!

7 comments:

yettie said...

They held hands to walk in!!! In the midst of my crazy morning, that totally teared me up.

Hang in there mama. You must be so proud of Misses A & B

Marcia (123 blog) said...

oh my gosh, the cuteness! Also, you're being so brave Mandy!

Would love to hear more about the school, and the separate classes. Was that your decision or school policy? Are the other kids from their pre-school at the same school?

Unknown said...

So sweet, Friend :):):) I was thinking of you all day Wednesday (could you feel the happies I was sending you?? Sorry I couldn't give them to you in person!). Sounds like the girlies are bravely embracing their new adventure. By the end of week 2, the "new normal" will settle in for everyone. Love that J came to see them at the end of their school day! How sweet!

Unknown said...

Yeah for a great first day of school! Do you guys do full day or 1/2 day? We have full day here.

We start school on Sept 3. We were just talking about it this evening on our drive home from vacation. At first, Adam said he didn't want to go back to school but J&S reminded him of Kdg and riding the bus with them and all the other fun things that are in store for him. He's been excited!

Hard to believe our babies are starting school!?!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Happy start to the school year! What a wonderful adventure!!! Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award on my blog: http://doyledispatch.com/2014/08/13/liebster-award-2-0/.

Heather said...

Wow! Congratulations on the first day! Our boys start Kindergarten on August 27. They'll be in the same class as there is only one Kindergarten class at the school they are going to. There are also four sets of twins in their class!!! I thought it was three, but I noticed on the class list today, it is four!!!! Wow! And the class only has 28 kids, so 8 out of the 28 are twins. Must have been in the air that year.

Mrs FF said...

Looks like I've been missing too many posts! This is such a lovely post and it teared me up! When did they become so big and I can't believe the are in kindergarten already. Hope they've enjoyed it so far? Any more interesting stories? Still want to know about a pig climbing the fridge cartoon! Hmmm that's an interesting first day memory.