Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

April 28, 2010

The Beach Boys? Seriously???

The girls officially said their first word, “baby”, (aside from "dada" and "mama") a few weeks ago. Since then, they’ve added “bye-bye” to their list of discernible words. They also say “ball” and “book”, although without the accompanying baby sign, I’m not sure I would have picked up on those just yet.

I don’t know if it’s common linguistic development for babies to take to one sound with such fervor, but the girls have so far maintained quite a focus on the letter “b”. It’s not uncommon for them to babble “bababababa”, either.

I have developed a habit of making up “songs” for the girls. (It helps break up the seemingly-incessant narration.) So…add my singing to the girls’ “bababababa”, and their new favorite song is the Beach Boys’ Barbara Ann.

It’s catchy, and it’s fun, and it’s a great backdrop for dancing our version of The Twist…but the Beach Boys??? C’mon…I was really trying to gear the girls towards a different genre of music.

I have taken a very calculated approach to exposing the girls to all the greats…James Taylor and Eric Clapton, Bon Jovi and Blues Traveler, Jimmy Buffett and Willy Nelson, Sade and Amos Lee…big band…classical orchestra...to name a few. But the Beach Boys???

Here’s hoping this phase will pass when they incorporate more sounds into their linguistic arsenal.

(My apologies to any Beach Boys fans I am sure to have insulted. I love a good rendition of Surfin’ USA just like the next gal – in the right context – but I would rather that not rank as my girlies’ favorite song. I can only handle such in small doses.)

4 comments:

Christina said...

Every time I think about the beach boys, I think about Full House.. ;)

Mandy said...

HA! We do Barbara Ann too! I felt like such a loser but they get so excited!

Sonora said...

That is so funny. Now I have that song running through my head. How fun that they are starting to talk though. I am constantly singing, so I love it when my little ones pick up on it and start singing around the house.
Oh and I'm with Christina. I can't think of the Beach Boys without thinking of Full House and Uncle Jesse. :)

Unknown said...

gotta love some Beach Boys!! My name is Barbara Anne! I used to tell other kids when I was little that my dad knew them and they wrote the song for me! (they were too young to know that the song came along a few years before I did! haha!)