Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

October 2, 2012

Tactile Scarecrow Craft...Welcome Fall!

A couple of weeks ago, our Mothers of Multiples group met one Saturday morning at our local orchard.  In addition to the petting zoo, the giant slides, the wooden tractors, the tractor wheel maze, the frog pond, the acres and acres of apples and pumpkins...oh, and the yummiest food...I set up a craft for the kiddos.

After spending just a little bit of time on Pinterest (who am I kidding...HA!), I decided on some type of scarecrow craft.  The orchard is peppered with scarecrows at every turn this time of year, so it definitely felt fitting.

I needed something that could adapt across age groups (roughly one year to seven years).  And I needed something as inexpensive as possible.

I played around a little bit with the girls, and came up with what turned out to be a pretty cute little guy.




A small paper plate for the face...rick-rack for the mouth...orange foam for the nose...buttons for the eyes (we used wiggly eyes for the group craft)...yellow yarn for the hair...a strip of scrap fabric for the tie...brown construction paper for the hat...and I cut a $1 strand of leaf garland to decorate the hat.

While it was mostly a "glue" project, I punched holes in the plates beforehand to allow the kiddos to "thread" the yarn and fabric.




For 25 craft kits, I was able to use bits and pieces of what I had.  In total, I spent about $2!  And the best part of all...everyone had fun. 

 


Our get-together was a great way to welcome fall...and we have two cute little scarecrows on our mantle to remind us of fun with family and friends.

I'm linking up with Charlene at Adventures-in-Mommy-Land for "Hey, Mom! Look What I Did!"  She features so much great crafting and educational inspiration every week.  And she's celebrating ONE YEAR of this fantastic link-up this month!  (Pssst...you should also check out her give-aways!)

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Cute! We made paper pumpkins one afternoon last week and the girls loved it. We'll have to try this next!

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

Those turned out so cute!

Charlene Juliani said...

LOVE this....so adorable and thanks for sharing this on Hey Mom, Look What I Did!