Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

August 1, 2010

Photographs and Memories

From the first time I got to see the girls, I was snapping pictures. I remember my husband being concerned that the flash was bothering the babies. I told him they needed to get used to it, as it would be a big part of their daily lives. And I have been true to my word. Thank goodness for digital media, as I would have had to take out a second mortgage months ago to finance 35mm film!

When I came home from the hospital, I started an informal electronic journal, which I still maintain. Sometimes I write in it every day…something cute the girls did, a milestone hit, some particularly sweet sentiment that came to mind…and then I might go a week or so without writing anything before I pick it back up. I’m so thankful I’ve kept this up, as it’s already such a treasure to go back and read through it from time to time.

Within a month of the girls’ birth, I set up a picture share site via Shutterfly. I post pictures, with a few brief notes, once a month. It’s really no extra work for me, as I already upload my pictures monthly to Shutterfly to print.

And once a quarter, I create a photo book from my Shutterfly pictures. To date I have six books, and they’re great coffee table fodder. (Or they would be great coffee table fodder, if we didn’t have our coffee table in a random room, so the girls won’t poke their eyes out on the corners…)

But then I decided I wanted to be able to share certain pictures and stories closer to “real time”, so I started my blog when the girls were a year old.

Oh, and I scrapbook. (I’m so behind on my scrapbooks that I feel a little guilty using present tense, but between all my photos, my notes, and my blog…and all the paper and embellishments that I continue to buy…I’m sure it will be a snap to catch up on…one.day...yeah.right.)

So…

· 250 pictures taken a month, on average
· 100 pictures printed a month, on average
· Picture albums to hold said photos
· Electronic journal
· Binder to hold said journal
· Online photo share site
· Photo books, printed quarterly
· Blog
· Scrapbooks
· Baby books (which I haven’t really even started…gulp!)

...well, I’m feeling a little out of control, like I need to hire a part-time nanny so I can concentrate on cataloguing my photographs and memories...

...but on the other hand, I sometimes feel like I’m not doing enough, as I have only one set of scrapbooks, for example. I have a friend who maintains a scrapbook for each of her three girls…now that is an entirely different level of commitment!

I sometimes think about trying to condense some of the things I do, but I just don’t want to miss a thing.

I figure as long as my picture taking, journal writing, blog posting, and scrapbook gluing doesn’t take any time away from my girls, then it’s worth the effort. I affectionately refer to it as “second shift” at our house…or sometimes "third", depending on the actual chores that have to be done.

8 comments:

twinkietotmom said...

I'm so impressed that you are able to keep up with printing monthly photos. That is my hardest thing to remember to do. I haven't done it since my oldest was about one...he will be three in October...so I have a lot of catching up. I randomly print pictures when I need some for frames or whatnot...but I am bad about printing hard copies to save. I also like the idea of doing a quarterly photo book...I was wanting to do monthly...but quarterly sounds easier and less expensive as well!

Christina said...

See, I have my books, but I'm so bad about printing them and framing them! I need to do that!

Safire said...

Hehe...second shift...

Lani said...

sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping your memories preserved:) That is a great gift for your entire family:)

April said...

wow. i'm impressed :) i haven't printed a single picture, lol. but we did spend way too much on newborn pictures!

i'm hoping to create a album of their first year soon!

strongblonde.wordpress.com

Andrea said...

Wow! That's great. You should be proud. I haven't printed a picture in about a year, so I am not proud of that. Good luck on the baby books! I think I only finished the first page in only one of them. I am horrible! :(

Renae said...

Wow! I'm also very impressed. I have very few printed pictures, and only one photo book I made using Shutterfly for 0-6 months. The book got so big and so expensive that I never purchased another one (although, I did make one for 6-12 months). I'm better at posting photos monthly on a blog I have for long distance family and friends, but I need to get better about printing them out.

MultipleMum said...

Great ideas Mandy. I am terrible at this stuff (surprised?) but my sister does a great "Year Book". Just the best of the best, month by month. I mean to start doing it to, but I haven't yet. Just another option for you!